Sunday, December 20, 2009

Karma Yoga

At the beginning of our last full day together, just before we hiked down to Nuyaka falls, our yoga teacher Karina Ayn Mirsky asked us to devote some time reflecting on the meaning of Karma Yoga, community, and what we can take from the experience we had just participated in.
So…. what had we just experienced?
For me it was possibly the most concentrated period in my life for first time experiences. To list just a few: living with 20 women (and not just ordinary women but strong and proud yogi’s), yoga practices with Katy and Karina, ecstatic dance, hiking to the ocean, big mind/big heart, group chanting, acro yoga, waterfall climb at Nuyaka, Intention ceremony, Kirtan, Deeksha blessing, painting the community center, blowing a conch, shredding pooh, talks of eliminating anywhere with Amy, carrying rocks up the hill from the river, smelling raw coconut oil (yummy), cutting down a banana tree, riding in a Costa Rican pickup, live music with Josh and Luna at the Bhakti Vinyasa Project. Wow what a list! and if I sat in silence with my new meditation practise I could probably add lots more.
I could not have imagined a better introduction to a lifestyle simply known as Karma Yoga. With the arrival of 15 new faces, for a week long retreat, we welcomed 15 new smiles with 15 open hearts and minds. Each person on their own journey to leave a soulful footprint on the earth of True Nature and with the community of La Florida.
As a photographer I often fell on the outside, someone watching people’s lives unfold before me with an opportunity to catch just a small glimpse of their life. Not this week. From the first walk down the hill until the parting wave it was like a huge family with a greater understanding of the reasons we are all here.
Watching friendships blossom from bud to flower in a week is amazing, but to see higher connections made surrounded by the ever present buzz and energy of the jungle is what the Tico’s have wisely catch phrased “ Pura Vida” or pure life.
So what did I take from this?
A bond to this 'Mother Earth' with an affirmation that I have chosen wisely to share my passions for life with caring souls and to live every day in that moment. I feel blessed to have shared my footprint with so many remarkable "V" powered women (and the 2 guys) and will look back on this experience and see the light shining brightly as a reminder that service and sharing is Karma Yoga. Peace.

Jessica has also written a blog post and will continue to add stories and pictures at www.whereismygurunow.com
I have also uploaded a gallery to my site under events/clientlogin, click here and will be working on an art gallery soon.
It's impossible to sum up this week with just 5 pictures but think on these.
Share new experiences with new friends....
Focus to understand our mind and body....
Eliminate....
Laugh, sing and dance....
Connect....





No comments:

Post a Comment